Friday, December 11, 2015

Star Wars Ads - From a Galaxy Far Far Away

The original opening

It seems fitting to open this blog up with a post about Star Wars, now that we're only one week away from the new Star Wars movie.

It's the first Star Wars movie since 1983 that I am actually excited about. In 1983 my mom took my brother, me and our friend to the mall to see Return of the Jedi. Turned out that the first showing was sold out.

So we waited the 2.5 hours in line for the next showing. Thanks mom!

When Lucas announced the prequels I wasn't excited because let's face it--we're going BACKWARD in the story? Who cares?

But now, even though I really never wanted to see old Luke, old Leia, and old Han, I am excited about the new flick. I think JJ Abrams is a great choice, and if he can't make Star Wars fun again then probably nobody can.

I've even managed to dodge all of the commercials save the teaser they first aired.

Anyway, on with the ads!


When I was a kid, my brother and I were crazy for Star Wars figures. Man, we lost so many of those in the sandbox that I could probably pay for my kid's college if I just went out there now and dug through it.
The ad above brings a smile to my face just remembering it...


I've seen a lot of Star Wars movie posters, but hadn't seen this one until recently. I'm not sure exactly where it came from, but it's pretty cool!

Finally I'll leave you with this ad that Steven Spielberg took out in Variety magazine to congratulate his buddy Lucas on breaking the rentals record for Jaws. 

Pretty cool!


Next up, some vintage Christmas ads!

No comments:

Post a Comment